Stair Step Fold Card - Toy Story invite

This past week I have been working hard on completing invitations for my sons second birthday party.  After I got over the fact that he is turning 2 (yikes!) I decided to have some fun with it!  I only had about 20 to make so I thought "let's try something fun and a new technique"...okay what was I thinking?  They took me a lot longer than I thought they would.  I think the hardest part was actually cutting and gluing all the shapes together that I cut on my cricut.  My son loves Toy Story so I picked out an easy figure from this cartridge, the alien.  It was also perfect because he had his arms wide open and I knew I wanted to do a banner on the card.  I also wanted to try my hand at a stair step fold.  Here is what I came up with.
Doing the fold was easy!  I just looked over a couple tutorials on the web and kind of made it my own.  My paper was 12 x 4 1/4.  I scored it using my Martha Stewart scoring board at 1 1/4, 2 1/2, 4 1/2, and 6 1/2.   Once folded the card came out to the normal 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 size.
I wanted to layer each fold, here are the sizes for the layer.  The first layer of blue was 1 x 4 and the first layer of white was 3/4 x 3 3/4.  The second layer only had the blue on it which was 1 3/4 x 4.  The third layer is where I put the wording and the first layer of blue was at 5 1/4 x 4 and the white layer was at 5 x 3 3/4.

I used googly eyes on the alien and the Look Who's Turning stamp set from Stampin UP! for the front of the card.  At one point I was going to string the banner but I thought it looked cute just like this. 


Here's another look at my cute alien!  He is cut at 3 3/4.  The banner was cut using a Make the Cut file at 1 inch.

23 comments:

  1. Love this card Jessica. The fold is new to me. Gonna def have to give it a try.

    TFS,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO CUTE! LOVE this, really love it!

    Jenny
    www.papercutcreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! I love this little guy!

    Lisa
    prettypaperprettyribbons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so glad I decided to stalk my blogger saw you cute card..
    The Scrapbooking Queen

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!!! This is ADORABLE!!!!

    Melissa
    www.disneydreamerdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!! The fold is great and I love the banner in the alien's hands!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it!!!
    Imogene
    follow me!!!
    sweetlilcricut.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. THIS IS AWESOME! I love it. Thanks for sharing!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so cute!! Love it!! Glad I found you!

    EricaQ

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! This is really great! Thanks for playing in my Fun Fold Card Challenge! :) Janis

    ReplyDelete
  11. aww very cute love this card thanks for sharing

    www.melissastampingvoila.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. super cute card! I love it!
    Sarah
    craftingwithsarah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. too cute! i love those lil alien guys & the banner makes him even cuter!! new follower
    http://justgetscraphappy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute invite! LOVE the big googlie eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH my!! How cute is this!! Adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness! I LOVE this! Such amazing detail you've worked out here! What a super super cute idea!!! Love the fold especially!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stair Step Fold Card are creative designing you have done a great job.
    Plastic Business Cards

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so cute. You are very talented. I am going to use this idea but for my daughter's Little Mermaid themed birthday. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments! I read them all and love getting them!